Thursday, December 4, 2008

Heavenly Rice Krispie Treats

My naughty friend told me about these.  Can you say Yum?

1 bag marshmallows
6 cups rice krispies
1/4 cup butter

Melt butter over low.  Add marshmallows.  Melt together, stirring regularly.  Pour over rice krispies in large bowl and stir together.  Take half of that mixture and pat it down into a 9x13 pan.  Unwrap Kraft caramels and layer on top of that.  (this step is optional-add another layer of mini marshmallows) then add the rest of rice krispies.   

I've never made them with Kraft caramels because I didn't have any.  So I made my own caramel.  Here is the recipe.  It's fat free don't worry!

1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 C. butter
1 1/2 c. white Karo syrup
1 tsp. vanilla

Combine all ingredients in heavy saucepan.  Stirring constantly, cook to 234 degrees. (or if your thermometer is broken then you can drop a little in cold water and if it gets hard, it's done) Remove from stove and add vanilla.  Pour into an 8x8 inch buttered pan (or on top of rice krispies :)

I made 4 batches of caramel rice krispies with this one recipe.  I just kept it in a jar in my fridge.  You could use it for ice cream topping, apple dip, or cool and wrap in wax paper.  
*delish*

P.S.  Do NOT eat the whole pan.  You WILL be sick!

No comments: